Our Church Covenant
Light of Life Community Church Covenant
The Church Covenant of the Light of Life Community Church is as follows hereinafter:
By the grace of God, having repented and believed in our Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8), and having been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19), we affirm our covenant with one another.
1. We will work and pray for unity in our church (Romans 12:4-5; Ephesians 4:3-6; Philippians
2. We will love one another by building (investing in) one another (Hebrews 13:1-3; 1Thessalonians 5:11, 14), and by bearing one another’s burdens (Romans 12:9-16; Colossians 3:12-13; Galatians 6:2).
3. We also purpose to maintain family and private devotions (Deuteronomy 6:6-7, Ephesians 5:25 - 27); to train our children according to the Word of God (Proverbs 22:6); to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; and to be discipled by other church members and to make disciples as God has commanded us (Matthew 28:18-20).
3. We will humbly and gently bear with one another (Ephesians 4:2; Colossians 3:12-13) and forgive one another (Matt. 18:15; Luke 17:3-4).
4. We will regularly gather together (Hebrews 10:25; Acts 2:42) to hear the Word preached, to fellowship with one another, to pray for one another, and to participate in the Church Ordinances (Baptism and the Lord’s Supper) (Acts 2:38; 1 Corinthians 11:26; Matthew 18:17).
5. We will live a Gospel centered life (2 Corinthians 5:15) as we pursue holiness (Hebrews 12:14; 1 Peter 1:14) while denying the world, the flesh, and the devil (Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 John 2:13-17).
6. We will seek to regularly remind one another of the Gospel (Acts 20:20-21; 1 Corinthians 2:1-2), and to proclaim the Gospel to others (Matthew 28:18-20) in word and deed (Matthew 5:13-16).
7. We will give regularly, generously and cheerfully (2 Corinthians 9:7) to the support of the ministry, the expense of the church (1 Corinthians 16:2, 1 Timothy 5:17, Galatians 6:6) and for the cause of the gospel (1 Timothy 5:17).
8. We will seek membership in another Gospel preaching church when we move away from this church (Romans 16:1-2).
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God the Father, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen (2 Corinthians 13:14)
The church covenant is equal parts promise, summary of expectations, ethical statement, and biblical standard. We summarize how we promise to live together in the covenant. It forms the ethics, or the moral principles, of our worldview and holds out a biblical standard by which we live. Our acceptance of this multifaceted document follows the practice of believers throughout the centuries who have pledged to God and one another to live out the gospel in community.
We use our covenant in two key ways today. We require all new members to sign it before joining the church. We also reaffirm our commitment to the covenant at all members meetings and before taking communion, when we stand as a body and recommit ourselves to it. By featuring the covenant in our life together, we strive to protect ourselves from individual and corporate sin. Of equal importance, we spur one another on to live in light of a greater covenant, one initiated by love, sealed by sacrifice, and kept for eternity by our Savior, Jesus Christ.